- On July 23, 2020
- Athlete Data Management, Athlete Management System, Data Management, Data Security, Security, Security Report, Smartabase Security
Each quarter our Security and Systems Admin team will bring you a brief report on the latest in Smartabase security to ensure your team remain up to date and aware of new functionality available to you.
What’s new in Smartabase Security?
Our latest software release, Version 6.5 of Smartabase, contained exciting new functionality with an emphasis on security-related configuration options.
Password Policy Changes
As the first line of defence, password requirements should reflect the security needs of YOUR organisation.
In Version 6.5 of Smartabase we have expanded your password policy configuration options for your organization and for specific roles within your organization. These options include specifying:
- Maximum password change frequency
- Enforced password changes after a set period
- Prohibiting the use of previous passwords
- Prohibiting matches to common patterns
- Maximum password length
To maintain our commitment to the security of your data, Fusion Sport is also required to make certain changes to all current default password policies. The below changes will come into effect as default password policy on all sites as they are updated to version 6.5 of Smartabase:
- Maximum password change frequency will be set at two (2) per day by the user account owner and five (5) per day per user account when carried out by a site administrator.
- Preventing re-use of previous passwords: the eight (8) most recently used passwords will not be accepted for use as a new password.
Multi Factor Authentication (MFA)
Smartabase is configured with multi-factor authentication (MFA) to help our clients keep their account secure. In Smartabase version 6.5, you will now have three specific preferences for the method of getting an MFA code:
- Authentication app only (most secure).
- SMS or authentication app.
- Email, SMS or authentication app (least secure).
Your MFA policy can be set by your administrator as a site-wide standard, a role-by-role basis or enabled for the user to set the standard themselves.
You will also have a new tool for whitelisting specific IP addresses to reduce the need for unnecessary multi-factor authentication every time you login.
For more detail on any of the above functionality or on Smartabase Version 6.5, please see the latest Smartabase release notes or speak to your Fusion Sport account lead.
Data protection and security are critical to the collection and storage of data for your users, and as such will always be a critical and ongoing focus in the continued development of our products. If you have any questions regarding data security in Smartabase, please contact our team via email@example.com.